An "Eligible Individual" Qualified To Have An ABLE Account Must Meet Two Requirements
- You must have a qualifying disability. Demonstrated by one of the following:
- Entitlement to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits based on blindness or disability; or
- Entitlement to Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits based on blindness or disability; or
- Self-certification of a similarly severe disability, if not entitled to SSI or SSDI. Demonstrated by the following:
- Blindness as defined by the Social Security Act (SSA); or
- A medically determinable physical or mental impairment with marked and severe function limitation that has lasted, or is expected to last, at least 12 continuous months or result in death; and
- Have a written disability-related diagnosis signed by a physician.
*During enrollment, documentation is not required. Keep records that support eligibility should a state or federal agency request them.
Who Can Open A PA ABLE Account?
An adult Eligible Individual with the legal capacity to enter into contracts must open the account for themselves. If the Eligible Individual is a minor or a person without legal capacity to enter into contracts, a parent, guardian or someone who has Power of Attorney may open the account and they become the “Authorized Individual.” The Authorized Individual acts as a fiduciary, must control the account for the benefit of the Eligible Individual, and may not have a beneficial interest in the account. At all times, the Eligible Individual is both the Beneficiary of the account and the Account Owner.
The Account Owner or Authorized Individual may wish to grant access to the Account to other people, called “Authorized Agents.” An Authorized Agent may be granted one of four levels of access from the ability to make inquiries to full control over the Account. In order to name an Authorized Agent, the Account Owner or Authorized Individual must complete an Agent Authorization/Power of Attorney Form, depending on the level of access granted, available on our Forms Page. For more information about Authorized Agents, please see the PA ABLE Savings Program Disclosure Statement.